PCCARD lockup/panic - Compaq M700

firewolf firewolf at lightningfire.net
Tue Aug 5 00:41:24 PDT 2003

I am having an issue with acpi on a Compaq Armada M700. When ACPI is
unloaded, everything work's great. My PCMCIA (16bit) wireless card (wi0)
and my CF card reader function 100%. But when ACPI is enabled, both
devices causes one of two random problems. Either the laptop will totaly
lockup, or it panics. However Cardbus (32bit) card's work flawlessly
with acpi enabled. (Tested using a Firewire card, along with a few few
cardbus NICS). One other thing to note, is that when it panics allowing
it to reboot only goes to a blank screen and never does reboot you have
to turn the machine off.

The M700 is has known problems with ACPI, to even get it functional I
need to patch the asl, which I'm doing using Craig Boston's work.

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=868479+0+archive/2002/freebsd-current/20021208.freebsd-current

I've tried various things from the mailing lists to see if it would
help, none so far have helped. This of course is using NEWCARD, I would
be willing to try OLDCARD if it's really believed it would work better
for this.

I stay up to date with the latest -CURRENT. I could provide any further
information on request. The problem also happens with a GENERIC kernel.
Would a dmesg of acpi then apm be helpful?

Thanks,

Chris.

--- Panics (Hand Copied) ---

wi0: < INTERSIL HFA384x/IEEE> at port 0x100-0x13f irq 11 fuction 0
config 1 on pccard0
NMI ISA a1, EISA ff
RAM parity error, likely hardware failure.

Fatal trap 19: non-maskable interrupt trap while in kernel mode
instruction pointer     = 0x8 :0xc0206b72
stack pointer           = 0x10 :0xcf7edac0
frame pointer           = 0x10 :0xcf7edae0
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, IOPL = 0
current process         = 8 (cbb0)
trap number             = 19
panic: non-maskable interrupt trap

syncing disks, buffers remaining...
done
Uptime: 3s
Terminate ACPI
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort

---

pccard1: Allocation failed for cfe 0
ata2: <SunDisk SDP> at port 0x100-0x10f irq 11 function 0 config 1 on
pccard1
kernel trap 19 with interrupts disabled
NMI ISA b1, EISA ff
RAM parity error, likely hardware failure.

Fatal trap 19: non-maskable interrupt trap while in kernel mode
instruction pointer     = 0x8 :0xc039d9a0
stack pointer           = 0x10 :0xcf7f0b00
frame pointer           = 0x10 :0xcf7f0b3c
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = IOPL = 0
current process         = 9 (cbb1)
trap number             = 19