Script to automatically configure a wireless card based on ssid

Doug Barton DougB at FreeBSD.org
Sat Apr 26 15:34:24 PDT 2003

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> What does wicontrol -l tell you?  Are you doing something like
> ifconfig wi0 ssid WLAN did you?

As I mentioned in the original report, from a status of the interface
totally not present, kernel module not loaded; I am doing 'wi0 powersave;
wi0 up', which WAS getting me this:

wi0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        ether 00:09:5b:31:2d:2f
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (DS/2Mbps)
        status: associated
        ssid WLAN 1:WLAN
        stationname "FreeBSD WaveLAN/IEEE node"
        channel 11 authmode OPEN powersavemode CAM powersavesleep 100
        wepmode OFF weptxkey 1

Last night, I played around with this some more, and I got:

        status: associated
        ssid WLAN 1:""

And now I'm getting:

        status: no carrier
        ssid "" 1:""

Argh. I'll try the wicontrol -l the next time I see WLAN. I'm still
willing to buy your theory that it's a real AP, but I'm curious about how
they could hide that fact from netstumbler. Someone else suggested that it
might be a 2.4 GHz phone that's giving off enough signal to fool the card.

> Also, once associated, the card won't report other cards...

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this. Even when I saw the WLAN ssid, if
I subsequently did 'ifconfig wi0 wepmode mixed' then it saw my actual AP,
correct ssid, etc.

Thanks for looking at all this,

Doug