Dell Inspiron 8500

Andy Sparrow spadger at best.com
Fri Apr 25 09:12:22 PDT 2003

> Bummer :(
> I don't really care about the wireless doodad but the ethernet is pretty
> important.

I can see that... :-/

> Is the Linux driver open source?
>
> > What was so wrong with the good ol' 3Com chips they had in
> > Inspiron 8200? :(

Evidently, they were too expensive this month - or, probably, they just
weren't as cheap as the Broadcoms...

> I like the fxp in my 8000 :)

Err, so find an fxp-based mini-PCI card and fit it. :)

5 minutes with a small screwdriver and you're set. I paid $25 for the
last one I bought on Ebay (an IBM part, IIRC). HP at least considers
these user-servicable, so it doesn't void the warranty (but I'd check
that if I'd just bought a new laptop).

I find that the xl driver gives me no end of grief with peer-to-peer,
because it often resets - which the fxp replacement hasn't done in a
year. YMMV.

Cheers,

AS