Toshiba laptops

Wesley Morgan morganw at chemikals.org
Wed Apr 23 07:17:19 PDT 2003

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Tom wrote:

> does anyone have any experience installing freebsd on a toshiba laptops in
> general or ( specifically ) the satellite 1415 S173?  what works/doesn't
> work?

My satellite pro 6000 works fantastically with 5-current. In the past few
months, someone fixed the ohci code to work properly, and either someone
fixed the t4dwave driver or the new system board I had put in (warranty
issue) upgraded some chips and they now work. I'm guessing the Yamaha
chipset (IIRC that's what it has) is well supported. The geforce4 chip is
supported by X and the nvidia drivers will probably work fine.

You'll want to run 5.0 for cardbus support.

The only piece of hardware that probably won't work is the modem. But who
needs modems any more, and you can always pick up a pccard modem that
works. I have a Xircom type3 that works fine for traveling.