"broadcast ping" message

Jamie Bowden ragnar at sysabend.org
Wed Apr 16 11:49:03 PDT 2003

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Larry Rosenman wrote:

> --On Wednesday, April 16, 2003 11:33:31 -0700 Jamie Bowden
> <ragnar at sysabend.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Larry Rosenman wrote:
> >
> >> --On Wednesday, April 16, 2003 10:58:20 -0700 John Polstra

> >> It's also against current best practices for ISP's.  Even Cisco changed
> >> the routers
> >> to NOT respond to directed-broadcast by default.
> >>
> >> The RFC was NOT written for today's internet.
> >
> > Then submit a draft for a superceding RFC, don't ignore it just because
> > it's inconvenient.  That's a Microsoft attitude.
> Take it up with the NSP folks.  I've not written standards stuff, and this
> is now a
> Best Current Practices.  I've had my share of DDoS's from broadcast pings.
>
> It's NOT JUST ME, it's the ENTIRE ISP Community.

All the world is not an ISP.  Having worked in that industry in the past,
I understand why they do things, but changing the default behaviour to
violate RFCs is not what I consider a good thing.  The option to turn it
is great for those who want or need it.

Using Cisco as an example doesn't bolster your argument, BTW, they've done
their share of boneheaded things in the past as well.

If the world is a better place for an updated standard, then fix the
standard, don't ignore it.  This isn't directed at you personally Larry,
it's just a general rant.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"