hostap (was: good pcmcia card to build ap)

'Tobias Roth' roth at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Apr 8 00:04:25 PDT 2003

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 03:34:39PM +0200, Erik Paulsen Sklerud wrote:

> > I'm like Tobias looking to make an accessPoint, but with a
> > PCI type card
> > instead, but it should be the same I think? Could someone please name
> > some cards based on the PRISM-chip, if that's the only card
> > supporting hostAP
> > in FreeBSD?

but then, do I really need hostap? i tried out ad-hoc mode with a linksys
card, and it seems to work just fine. i didn't get much smarter by googling
for hostap. what are the advantages of it (especially when I use only one
acess point, not multiple ones?). I have multiple machines that need to
connect at the same time though, all with different operating systems
(FreeBSD, WinXP, OSX). But that also shouldn't cause trouble, as far as I
understand the situation.

thx, t.