good pcmcia card to build ap

Jacques Caron Jacques.Caron at IPsector.com
Mon Apr 7 06:00:48 PDT 2003

At 14:30 07/04/2003, Peter Gade Jensen wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 01:50:23PM +0200, Jacques Caron wrote:
> > There is no hostap support with those cards. You're stuck with PRISM-based
> > cards (or Hermes-based ones in theory, but that's not yet supported with
> > FreeBSD, afaik).
>
>You make it sound like the PRISM-cards are not the way to go?

They're the only way to go. But in most cases you won't get the sensibility
of the cisco cards, for instance.

>I'm like Tobias looking to make an accessPoint, but with a PCI type card
>instead, but it should be the same I think? Could someone please name
>some cards based on the PRISM-chip, if that's the only card supporting hostAP
>in FreeBSD?

I have some D-Link DWL-520 (not plus) PCI cards, but apparently those are
hard to find nowadays. Apparently, the only cheap cards out there that are
still using the PRISM chipset are the Netgear MA301/401 (PCMCIA, PCI
adapter). Some others that had the PRISM chipset are now using other
chipsets (without any reference change!). Otherwise, for folks in the US,
you can check out the Senao cards which have higher transmit power and are
PRISM based. Not legal in Europe, though.

Jacques.

-- Jacques Caron, IP Sector Technologies
    Join the discussion on public WLAN open global roaming: