How to set irq for PCI->PCMCIA adapter

Michael C. Cambria mcc at fid4.com
Sun Apr 6 05:01:41 PDT 2003

Hi,

I have a PCI->PCMCIA adapter with a TI PCI1410 chip on it that I can't
get to use an irq.  It only boots into polling mode.  Is there a way to
set it?

I tried setting hw.pcic.irq, but this results in "Can't route ISA CSC
interrupt."

I think my problem is similar to that described in
20020221.100212.55046049.imp at village.org

This machine just cvsup'ed -stable, so is at 4.8-Release plus a day or
two.  The system is identical to one in work (anther Dell Precision 410
PII) except the work machine uses an ISA->PCMCIA adapter.  This one uses
a PCI->PCMCIA adapter with the TI 1410

I'm using ISA interrupt routing (hw.pcic.intr_path=1).  If I don't, the
system hangs at boot after printing "pci_cftintr_virgin: using routable
interrupt 3"

I tried one kernel configured like the man page

device card
device pcic

and another configured like LINT/GENERIC

device card
device pcic0   at isa? irq 10 port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd8000

Memory addresses of 0xd0000 and 0xd4000 result in PIOCRWMEM invalid
argument errors.  Using 0xd8000 the Orinoco Gold card is seen and will
associate.  I just can't use it and see constant wi timeout messages.

>From what I read in the archives, my problem relates to being in polling
mode.  So I'm currently looking to set an IRQ for this pci->pcmcia
bridge to see if this fixes anything.

Any ideas?  If it helps, the "AP" is another FreeBSD system (using a PLM
based adapter, not cardbus) so if there are things I can look at on the
"other end" let me know.

One other item.  The machine in question dual boots Win2K
(quicken/turbotax) and talks to the FreeBSD AP just fine.  All the HW
works.  I've also set wireless up on FreeBSD using ISA->PCMCIA,
PCI->PCMCIA w/PLM (e.g. no pcic) and on Soekris (e.g. no (bus)->PCMCIA
adapter.  I just can't get this current configuration to behave.

Any help appriciated.

Thanks,
MikeC