Dropbear installed by default

Piotr Kubaj pkubaj at riseup.net
Tue Oct 13 08:17:18 UTC 2015

Hi,

I (and I think many people as well) would like to have remote access to
MIPS systems (as opposed to serial-only).  Although it's impossible with
OpenSSH, it's quite possible with Dropbear, which I've tested personally
on my 1043nd v1. I believe it would be convenient to have SSH by
default, so that when you want to change your Wifi network password, you
don't have unscrew your router :) As I've already patched your scripts
and have Dropbear working, I can send you my patches, if you want to
commit them.

Also, another idea (a big one) is inclusion of Dropbear in base. AFAICS
it has a MIT license, so license shouldn't be a problem. OpenSSH would
still be the default, but I believe that Dropbear would be very useful
to have on all MIPS boards, underpowered ARM boards (like Beaglebone
Black or Raspberry Pi) and even some i386 boards (like ALIX from PC
Engines). I know you don't have much time, but I think I could manage to
do it myself, it's just that I don't want to do it only to find out that
it can't be committed :)

Bye,
Piotr Kubaj.