interrupt muxes, bus memory space and other fun amusing things

Ian Lepore ian at freebsd.org
Tue Jan 6 03:14:48 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-01-05 at 20:10 -0700, Warner Losh wrote:

> >> Same way. You’d create an interrupt device that registers an interrupt
> >> for the mux, then farms it out based on the contents of the registers.
> >> The MIPS interrupt handler might need some work (arm did) to
> >> allow this to happen, but it isn’t super difficult (though IIRc it is tedious).
> >
> > Ok. So I can do that, but then devices hang off of which bus? nexus0?
> > Or this mux?
> >
> > Can I create a mux bus to hang things off of that just pass all the
> > memory region requests up to the parent bus (nexus in this case) ?
>
> The hard part is mapping an interrupt provided by a mux to a resource
> number. However, we already do this for the ‘hard wired’ interrupts
> that are muxed through APIC or PIC controllers on x86. I fail to see how
> this is any different, apart (perhaps) from the need to do things dynamically
> in some way.
>
> Warner

It sounds like mips is ready for intrng.  Which would then give us ppc,
arm, and mips all with a conceptually-similar intrng-like layer for
handling non-hierarchical interrupt sources and controllers and mapping
between rman and hardware ideas of interrupt number.  Hmmm.  This would
be the time to argue for a nice shiny new MI intrng implementation...
except that we can't quite drive even the arm-only version to
completion.

-- Ian