Initial support for MT7620

Stanislav Galabov sgalabov at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 13:47:36 UTC 2015

> On Dec 16, 2015, at 14:05, Aleksandr Rybalko <ray at ddteam.net> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 16:58:31 +0200
> Stanislav Galabov <sgalabov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> After talking with Adrian off list we decided to start work on Mediatek/Ralink more recent SoCs with MT7620 instead of MT7621 (Adrian’s board has MT7620 so it’s easier for him to help with the WiFi parts this way).
>>
>> I’ve done a bit today and I got an MT7620A based board to boot to multi user with root filesystem on USB stick.
>>
>> If anyone is interested in the patch, it can be found here:
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/e880eutzvlms8h7/mt7620_patch.diff?dl=0
>>
>> For the moment there is no support for sys/dev/rt (the Ethernet controller) with MT7620. This is going to be left for later.
>> Next I am planning to work on SPI and PCI so that Adrian can start working on WiFi once I’m done with the SPI part.
>>
>> I would appreciate it if someone would jump in and help with the if_rt support - this way we’ll have something working quicker hopefully :-)
>>
>> I would also appreciate feedback for the attached patch...
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> Stanislav
>
> Hi Stanislav!
>
> There is patch #1 that did my friend, Alexander A. Mityaev.
> Patch cover to things:
> 1. enable support of RT5350
> 2. enable FDT configuration for RTxxxx family
>
> First thing may help you to bring if_rt up. Second one may help to work
> in right direction, because FDT makes adding new SoC support to looks
> like writing config (except some new devices, which will require new
> driver for it).
>
> I'm glad to help, but currently limited in time I can spend.
> Anyway, I will try to answer your questions ASAP.
>
> Thank you!
>
> [1] http://dev.mt.mk.ua/patch-20150519.diff.gz)
>
> WBW
> --
> Aleksandr Rybalko <ray at ddteam.net>

Hi Aleksandr,

Thanks for the patch! I’ll have a look at it and will see what I can do. Also, thanks for your offer to answer my questions, I really appreciate it.

I was thinking of FDT for the Ralink/Mediatek support, but I figured it would be beneficial to see if there is interest in these platforms at all in the community or not, so that’s why I first started working on adding basic support for more SoCs before trying to move to FDT (although I agree that moving to FDT first may have been wiser :-)).

I am willing to work on moving the Ralink/Mediatek family support to FDT and doing more work on supporting currently unsupported peripherals (as far as I can be of any use), but I would only do so if the changes I make would end up committed to FreeBSD - I have no interest in doing something that will go unused by anyone…

So if any committer is willing to suffer going through my patches and getting them in the tree - I’ll do my best, provided I have some spare cycles to work on this. I am also willing to do the commits myself (under proper supervision, of course) if my work is considered useful and of acceptable standards.

Best wishes,
Stanislav