is pkgng=no valid?

Ben Morrow ben at morrow.me.uk
Fri Nov 21 03:41:40 UTC 2014

Quoth sbruno at freebsd.org:
> On Thu, 2014-11-20 at 18:33 -0500, Nathan Dorfman wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 9:03 PM, Nathan Dorfman <na at rtfm.net> wrote:
> >
> > > D'oh, my memory seems to be failing me. What Ben is saying does sound
> > > familiar now. I might have just worked around it by using something
> > > like 'cd /usr/ports/*/pkgng && make STRIP=/bin/echo install'
> > >

> > OK, today, at least, that doesn't seem to work either. This does:
> >
> >     sed -i.bak 's/^old_striplib=/#&/'
> > $WRKDIRPREFIX/usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg/work/pkg-1.3.8/libtool
> >
> > It's enough to build a bunch of ports, but of course any that make their
> > own static libraries will still break. E.g. if you want to build tmux, you
> > have to do the same thing to libevent2, which bundles its own libtool:
> >
> >     sed -i.bak 's/^old_striplib=/#&/'
> > $WRKDIRPREFIX/usr/ports/devel/libevent2/work/libevent-2.0.21-stable/libtool
> >
> > Ben's strip patch is looking like the best solution for now.
>
> I'm currently setting WITH_DEBUG=y in make.conf for use with poudriere +
> qemu-user.  Maybe this is easier?

It's easier, but you end up with unstripped and unoptimised binaries,
which seems like a Bad Plan to me on a machine as small as the ERL. Not
stripping static libraries doesn't make any difference to any code that
will actually run, since any binaries they are linked from will be
stripped again before being installed.

Ben