is pkgng=no valid?

Ben Morrow ben at morrow.me.uk
Wed Nov 19 00:51:57 UTC 2014

Quoth freebsd-mips at freebsd.org:
> From: Nathan Dorfman <na at rtfm.net>
>  >
> >> Can you share your /etc/make.conf? I doubt it will make a difference on my
> >> build, though.
> >
> > I haven't tried the specific ports you mention, but I have successfully
> > built some other ports on my EdgeRouter Lite running FreeBSD/mips. (They
> > also depend on pkgng, like all ports, and that built/installed just fine.)
> > I didn't touch make.conf. The only difference I can think of immediately is
> > that I'm running 10-stable and you're on 11-current.
> >

> Can you name one port you have installed? If it fails, I'll try a / your
> 10-stable.

I don't know if this helps; this is on an ERL, and everything appears to
be working properly.

As you can see from uname, I cross-compiled world and kernel; I also
cross-compiled the ports, using poudriere and qemu user-mode (I was
running a jail on amd64 with a mips world using qemu, with the toolchain
replaced with statically-linked amd64->mips cross binaries). It
certainly wasn't fast, but I prefer not to do compilations on production
machines (and 'my VDSL router' is production enough to count).

I had to patch a few things to get everything to work. In particular,
pkg won't build on mips without a patch to strip(1) that stops it from
trying to strip static libraries: there's a bug there that hasn't been
fixed yet.

Ben

~% uname -a
FreeBSD thoth.morrow.me.uk 10.1-RC3 FreeBSD 10.1-RC3 #1 2041efc(mauzo/10.1): Tue Oct 28 06:04:32 GMT 2014     root at anubis:/usr/obj/mips.mips64/usr/src/sys/THOTH  mips
~% pkg info
ack-2.14                       Grep-like text finder for large trees of text
ca_root_nss-3.17.2             The root certificate bundle from the Mozilla Project
cmake-3.0.2                    Cross-platform Makefile generator
cmake-modules-3.0.2            Modules and Templates for CMake
curl-7.38.0_2                  Non-interactive tool to get files from FTP, GOPHER, HTTP(S) servers
cyrus-sasl-2.1.26_9            RFC 2222 SASL (Simple Authentication and Security Layer)
cyrus-sasl-gssapi-2.1.26_2     SASL GSSAPI authentication plugin
daemontools-0.76_17            Service monitoring and logging utilities by djb
db5-5.3.28_2                   The Oracle Berkeley DB, revision 5.3
expat-2.1.0_1                  XML 1.0 parser written in C
gettext-0.18.3.1_1             GNU gettext package
gmake-4.1                      GNU version of 'make' utility
indexinfo-0.2                  Utility to regenerate the GNU info page index
kstart-4.1_1                   Russ Allbery\'s k5start and krenew
libevent2-2.0.21_3             API for executing callback functions on events or timeouts
libltdl-2.4.2.418              System independent dlopen wrapper
mauzo-tools-20141026_1         Random utilities
mksh-r50.d                     MirBSD Korn Shell
mpd5-5.7_1                     Multi-link PPP daemon based on netgraph(4)
nsd-4.1.0_1                    Authoritative only non-recursive name server
nss_ldap-1.265_11              RFC 2307 NSS module
openldap-sasl-client-2.4.40    Open source LDAP client implementation with SASL2 support
openldap-sasl-server-2.4.40    Open source LDAP server implementation
p5-File-Next-1.12              File-finding iterator
pam_abl-0.6.0                  Blacklisting responsible for repeated failed authentication attempts
pam_krb5-4.6_2                 Pluggable Authentication Module for Kerberos 5
pamtester-0.1.2                Command line pam authentication tester
pcre-8.35_1                    Perl Compatible Regular Expressions library
perl5-5.16.3_11                Practical Extraction and Report Language
pkg-1.3.8_3                    Package manager
popt-1.16_1                    Getopt(3) like library with a number of enhancements, from Redhat
postfix-2.11.1_4,1             Secure alternative to widely-used Sendmail
pstree-2.36                    List processes as a tree
rsync-3.1.1_3                  Network file distribution/synchronization utility
sudo-1.8.11.p1                 Allow others to run commands as root
tinycdb-0.78_1                 Analogous to cdb, but faster
vim-7.4.430_2                  Improved version of the vi editor