How to compile and install Freebsd to Routerstation PRO

Juli Mallett jmallett at FreeBSD.org
Sun Apr 1 21:33:51 UTC 2012

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 14:30, Aleksandr Rybalko <ray at ddteam.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Apr 2012 14:18:09 -0700
> Juli Mallett <jmallett at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jan,
>>
>> Do you want to boot the RS Pro from network, or from NAND?  If from
>> network, there are probably instructions elsewhere that would be more
>> useful, and hopefully someone else knows where to link to (I don't.)
>>
>> If you want to boot from NAND, things get a little tricky.  FreeBSD
>> doesn't have usable NAND support yet, so you'll have to boot Linux to
>> copy the kernel to NAND flash, and you'll have to erase NAND from the
>> bootloader before doing that otherwise Linux may place the FreeBSD
>> kernel outside of the range that RouterBOOT is willing to read from.
>> Also, you kernel has to be under 4MB big for the same reason.
>
> IIRC RSPro have 16M of NOR flash (cfi driver), not NAND :)

Yes, you should ignore me.  I had a massive brain-related failure.  My
answers were about RB450G, the original question was about RS Pro.
Sorry for the noise — that's what I get for using both :)

Someone else can say how to setup RS Pro.  Luckily lots of people have
those and it sucks a lot less :)