boot RSPRO from usb

Maciej Milewski milu at dat.pl
Fri Dec 9 15:59:16 UTC 2011

Dnia piątek, 9 grudnia 2011 16:00:59 Monthadar Al Jaberi pisze:

> ofcourse:
> makefs -t ffs -B big -s 20m ../target_image/rootfs.img rspro/root/
Doesn't sound wrong but don't have my script to compare now.

> I dont know if I need to run fsck, I am using same image embedded in kernel:
> ROOTDEVNAME=\"ufs:/dev/md0.uzip\"
>
> and it works, and also as I noted above I have an old kernel that
> loads fine from same usb....
I must have overlooked that.

> > Alternative way maybe would work. Have you tried to run system from nfs
> > and create fs by newfs + (cp || untar || rsync || install) needed
> > system files?
> sorry, but I dont understand, can you explain a bit more?
1. boot some working environment with tools like gpart, newfs, mount
2. gpart your usb drive (or not if you want to use full drive)
3. newfs that
4. transfer tar.gz of rspro/root contents and utar it into new drive
5. reboot with correct rootdevname

Does that sound better? :)

--
Maciej