RB433 with FreeBSD 7.3

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Jun 17 19:18:32 UTC 2010

: Is possible run FreeBSD 7.3 on RB433AH in card SD with the patchs
: for FreeBSD9-current?

Yes.

However, I think that the question you really want to ask is 'how much
effort is it to port the AR71xx support in -current back to
7.3-release?  And also how much effort it would be enhance the SD
stack to support running over SPI instead of running over the
specialized SD interface.

The port back to 7.3 likely isn't a huge amount of work.  Interfaces
haven't changed that much.  However, I'm sure that I'm forgetting
about some changes that would make it difficult :).

Augmenting the SD stack to work over an SPI bus would be quite a bit
more effort.  The SPI commands are a little different than the normal
ones, and some careful thought and attention to detail would be needed
to make it work.  The current SD stack likely would need some
refactoring to accomplish this, since I don't think it is possible to
mechanically translate the SD "bus" commands to the SPI commands (but
to be honest, it has been 3 years since I looked at that part of the
SD standard).

Warner