Merging 64 bit changes to -HEAD - part 2

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Jun 17 17:07:31 UTC 2010

In message: <4B66E1A4-E2A5-471F-9FA4-38B506797272 at lakerest.net>
            Randall Stewart <rrs at lakerest.net> writes:
:
: On Jun 17, 2010, at 12:23 PM, Jayachandran C. wrote:
:
: > On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 9:32 PM, M. Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com>
: > wrote:
: >> In message: <98F8CB29-62FE-41A6-8AE6-6F8AF086D29C at lakerest.net>
: >>            Randall Stewart <rrs at lakerest.net> writes:
: >> : JC:
: >> :
: >> : I don't think renaming the PTE entries to PG_ is a good idea.
: >> :
: >> : Way back in 2007 this was one of the issues I hit.. the J code
: >> : used PG_ and somewhere in the VM we used PG_ to indicate (Page).
: >> :
: >> : Thus we ended up with a PG_G defined in two places and we were
: >> setting
: >> : PG_G and it was Not the PTE PG_G.. but the one defined in the VM.
: >>
: >> This was a big frustration at the time...  I'd somehow blocked it from
: >> my memory when Juli and I talked about this a while ago...
: >>
: >> : The folks in the VM world suggested we change this to PTE_xxx which
: >> I
: >> : did.
: >>
: >> Alan Cox, if memory serves.
: >
: > I had tested the changes (buildworld on 32 cpus) , so there is a
: > chance that the problem no longer exists.
: >
: > There is one minor cleanup in the patch that can be done (ie unify the
: > mips_pg and pmap_pte macros). But the renaming itself does not seem to
: > buy us anything.
: >
: > I will wait for Juli's comments too, as she is the original author of
: > the patch...
: >
:
: But JC:
:
: I don't understand why you have this urge to move PTE_xxx -> PG_xxx
:
: a) We had that and changed that
: b) Alan (I think you are right here Warner it was Alan that made the
: suggestion) suggested
:    the changes to PTE_xx
:
:
: So what are your reasons for wanting to do this?

It was also a name-space collision, so we were using PG_x instead of
PG_y in the PTE code due to the overlap.  Maybe it all works now, but
that was the motivation for the change.

Warner

: R
: