RouterBOARD RB450G

Oleksandr Tymoshenko gonzo at bluezbox.com
Fri Jun 11 21:20:55 UTC 2010

On 2010-06-11, at 5:05 AM, Alexander Mogilny wrote:

> Hi all!
> I have recently purchased RB450G router and was not
> satisfied with RouterOS so I decided to install FreeBSD
> on this device.
> There are some issues with starting FreeBSD on this device
> so I would like to help community to fix some code and get
> this device working.
>
> Default AR71XX kernel failed to boot. Boot process stopped
> at ohci device detection (it just hanged). When I commented
> it out in hints file I got following:

  .. skipped ..

> As you can see ethernet card got incorrect ethernet address.
> What could cause this? Perhaps I can somehow give you some more
> debug information?
    RouterBoard and Routerstation use different approaches for passing
device-dependent data (MAC address, memsize) to kernel. Routerstation
uses redboot that passes key-value pairs in environment memory area
while RouterBoard's own boot loader passes them as key-value pairs in argv.

Some minor hackery required to get it working. It's not done yet because I
didn't have a chance to get my hands on AR71XX-based routerboard :)

--
gonzo