svn commit: r208589 - head/sys/mips/mips

Juli Mallett jmallett at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jun 8 04:14:03 UTC 2010

Hey JC,

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 21:07, C. Jayachandran <c.jayachandran at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes. I saw the PAE top level page table code and thought I could use
> that mechanism for allocating MIPS page table pages in the direct
> mapped memory. The other reference I used was
> pmap_alloc_zeroed_contig_pages() function in sun4v/sun4v/pmap.c which
> uses the vm_phys_alloc_contig() and VM_WAIT.  I had also thought of
> using the VM_FREEPOOL_DIRECT which seemed to be for a similar purpose,
> but could find see any usage in the kernel.

Do you intend to support o32 kernels in your port indefinitely?  I
wonder whether this work is just stopgap until the systems which have
large amounts of RAM can just use n64 kernels.  At least on Octeon it
seems to me that n64-only is the right answer if at all possible,
since there are really a lot of parts of the kernel that just can't
reasonably work otherwise (use of rman_get_virtual with io ports, for
instance.)

Thanks,
Juli.