Support for 64bit userspace.

Jayachandran C. c.jayachandran at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 08:15:57 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 12:41 AM, M. Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
> In message: <AANLkTinwi7v3wANCd5EGA9GHuWUrnAEP3Rq6EedGpGKe at mail.gmail.com>
>            Juli Mallett <jmallett at FreeBSD.org> writes:
> : On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 01:15, Jayachandran C. <c.jayachandran at gmail.com> wrote:
> : > I kept the 32 bit pmap.c code untouched so that I don't have to deal with
> : > the breakage there during the early 64bit changes.
> : > I will check in the other changes now, and will do another round of work on
> : > pmap.c/pmap64.c to see if it can be merged (and eliminate the config
> : > option).
> :
> : Hmm, hopefully the changes will be well-isolated and any abstractions
> : will be right for 32-bit and 64-bit both.  One of the problems with
> : two files is that when they are merged, which it sounds like you think
> : is inevitable, we lose the change history for that file.  And if
> : they're in the same file, you don't need an option, just __mips_n64.
>
> I'd prefer one file as well...

I will look at merging them without too many ifdefs. Another
possibility is to have a pmap.c, pmap32.c and pmap64.c, so that the
common code is not duplicated, but that too (as far as I can see) will
require a config option.

Also, I've been checking in the other pieces of 64 bit support that I
had posted here. I've broken down the patches further so that they are
be obvious (and easy to revert if it affects anything).

I am not planning to check-in the pmap changes for 3 level page tables
now, will post it again for review once I see what level of merge can
be done.

JC.