Hmm... why?

=?gb2312?q?Sharp=20Gao?= imgaolong at yahoo.com.cn
Mon May 24 00:21:58 PDT 2004

We have ported the linux installer anaconda to install a Linux Release over a linux.ko on a FreeBSD kernel , totally in graphical GUI interface .  strange?:) while , we in fact use the RPM fomat packages , and after the install , of cource , the box looks competely like  a linux box(over linux.ko).While , only the graphical partition tools need a rewrite , and only some other trial modifications are needed .
 if a package format is to be decided , I thought the totally install process of a native FreeBSD would not be too difficult , since the python is strong enough , as I learned when we ported the anaconda.

"Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh at queasyweasel.com> wrote:

On May 23, 2004, at 11:46 PM, wrote:

> why does freebsd need a new installer? Why not allow the current
> installer "sysinstall" to just become user friendly..edit it and add
> new things to it... possilby even adding a graphical interface that
> works with it. It's all possible and correct me if I'm wrong--wouldn't
> it be less work? If sysinstall was just more userfriendly it would
> work very well.

Go give it a try. Once you're done wrestling with the code for awhile
in an effort to "just make it more user friendly", you can answer your
own question.

>  As for porting a?Linux installer to FreeBSD... I do not recommend
> it. there will be alot of conflict about the GPL vs. BSD licenses and
> we all know what kind of war that starts. I personally think freebsd
> should have its own installer under its own license.

I think you sell the FreeBSD community a bit short. The issue is not
GPL vs BSD, and if there were a good, generic installation framework
that could be adapted to FreeBSD and was under the GPL, I don't think
people would blink twice at it. The problem with the Linux installers
isn't that they're GPL'd, it's that they're written to be very specific
to the distribution they're installing and make a lot of assumptions
about low-level Linux-specific partitioning methods and such.

--
Jordan K. Hubbard
Engineering Manager, BSD technology group