question

Jordan Hubbard jkh at queasyweasel.com
Sat May 22 13:20:08 PDT 2004

libh never lived up to its promise, that much is certainly true.

The pity of all this is that there's never been the right sort of
project management or even group consensus necessary to come up with
any credible replacement strategy.  Libh was never the cause of
FreeBSD's lack of a good replacement installer, merely a symptom of the
general lack of desire to deal with this problem space.   People just
keep doing (barely) evolutionary hacking on the existing tools and
somehow perceiving this as sufficient and that's just a shame since
it's limited FreeBSD's success (trying, as it has, to be "the
mainstream BSD").  Meanwhile, the SuSE and Red Hats of the world
continue to march on and offer installation and package management
experiences that are at least an order of magnitude more extensive than
FreeBSD's.   Even Debian, who one could argue is more of a reasonable
comparison to FreeBSD given that it's all been volunteer driven rather
than subsidized by a corporate sugar-daddy, offers a better
installation experience.  Not an order of magnitude better, but they've
at least put some effort into this area and appear to be continuing to
do so.

If libh is finally pronounced dead and buried without ceremony, I hope
that this is announced a little more widely and with at least some
attempt to provoke discussion concerning "if not that, then what?
Nothing?  Really??"

- Jordan