OT: support for multicore javac?

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 05:52:10 UTC 2020

On Sun, Jul 19, 2020 at 1:28 AM Greg Lewis <glewis at eyesbeyond.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 12:50:36PM +1200, Jonathan Chen wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't use eclipse or any IDE and many people other users don't
> also.   All this is done by eclipse not the command line tools and people
> who work with them need good support for them (see the README in sjavac...
> https://github.com/weetmuts/sjavac ... as to the reasons for not using an
> IDE see
> https://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=31816+0+current/freebsd-questions
> > >

> > My statement should be re-phrased as: When I'm building the eclipse
> > port from the command line, with maven, each javac invocation spreads
> > the work over multiple cores. You can easily view this with "top -H".
>
> FWIW, sjavac has been used by default since JDK 9, so yes, you'd expect to
> see multiple cores being used with openjdk11.  The sjavac Github reference
> above is a backport to openjdk8.

Does that mind if I use 9+ I can give the -j option and it will work as the
sjavac docs say it will?.... the main reason why I decided no to use the
github version even though I use openjdk 8 by default is it had no way to
pass options down to the wrapped javac such as (which is the default I use
in almost all my projects with the most important one being -Werror):

-Xprefer:source -implicit:none -Xlint -Xdiags:verbose -Werror