OT: support for multicore javac?

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 20:03:11 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 3:04 PM Bridger Dyson-Smith <bdysonsmith at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Aryeh -
>
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 11:35 PM Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I have a rather large code base that takes several minutes to compile even
>> when doing javac `find src -name '*.java'`.  SInce I do not use ant or any
>> other Java based build system (I use devel/cook for many reasons most of
>> which fit the project much better then ant or the Java only build
>> systems).   I was reading about a program called sjavac (smart-javac) as a
>> possible way to make javac splatter the compile across multiple cores.
>>  It
>> does not seem to be anywhere in the ports collection (independent or in
>> connection to another port).    Any suggestions on how to get/install it
>> and/or other ways of making javac use multiple cores?
>>
>> I can't pretend to be anything other than an amateurish dabbler in the
> JVM, but is there any reason you can't simply clone the repository at
> https://github.com/weetmuts/sjavac and run it?

Thanks I was just not able to find that easily on the web for some
reason... Since I am a port maintainer of two ports already that relate to
my DIY build system (devel/aegis and devel/fhist to advertise them ;-)) I
will likely be making this a third if it works as advertised to help the
community.

I hope this is helpful, and apologize if it isn't.

I have never understood why people feel they have to apologize for giving
requested help (even if it turns out to be wrong in the long run).