Min. ports needed for headless AWT/Swing

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 12:03:53 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 7:58 AM Ronald Klop <ronald-lists at klop.ws> wrote:

> [...]
>> the full screen resolution as it's bounds) individual frames of the longer
>> video.
>>
>> Here is the specific exception I am attempting to fix:
>> On desktop (192.168.11.20)
>> % xhost +
>>
>> On VM (192.168.11.4):
>> % setenv DISPLAY 192.168.11.20:0.0
>> % java
>>
>> -javaagent:/usr/local/share/java/classes/jacocoagent.jar=destfile=/usr/home/aryeh/fnwe-scap-1a1.C036/jacoco.exec,jmx=true,excludes=thistest/*:test/*
>> -cp
>>
>> /usr/home/aryeh/fnwe-scap-1a1.C036/scrap/www/WEB-INF/lib/fnwe-scap-1a1.jar:/usr/local/share/java/classes/thisTest.jar:/usr/local/share/java/classes/pcCommon.jar:/usr/local/share/java/classes/pcUtil.jar
>> test.TestMain
>>
>> Result of the jvm invocation on the VM (not it works no problem su(do)'ing
>> to another account on the desktop if I do setenv DISPLAY :0.0):
>>
>> Caused by: java.awt.AWTError: Can't connect to X11 window server using
>> '192.168.11.20:0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
>> at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method)
>> at
>> sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.access$200(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:65)
>> at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment$1.run(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:115)
>> at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.<clinit>(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:74)
>> at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
>> at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:264)
>> at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.createGE(GraphicsEnvironment.java:103)
>> at
>>
>> java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment(GraphicsEnvironment.java:82)
>> at test.scap.TestVideoFrame.testCaptureFrame(TestVideoFrame.java:76)

>> --
>> Aryeh M. Friedman, Lead Developer, http://www.PetiteCloud.org
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Can you start any other X application on the VM using the DISPLAY
>> setting? Like /usr/ports/x11/xeyes. Than you know if it is something with X
>> instead of something with Java. I guess it is something with X.
>> I guess your desktop is not listening for external connections to the X
>> server or your routing between the VM and the desktop does not work.
>> Or start a X server in the VM and use DISPLAY=:0.0 again.
>>

> Don't have any X components installed except for the ones required by
> "make/make install" on openjdk8.   The reason for this post in the first
> place was to figure out the minimum set of ports needed to get a working
> DISPLAY variable in the first place.
>

> --
> Aryeh M. Friedman, Lead Developer, http://www.PetiteCloud.org
>

> I'm 99% sure you don't need any additional ports to get a working DISPLAY
> variable.
>
> It will probably help to start your X server with "-listen tcp". But I
> don't have enough information to be sure about that and how to configure

I think that might work if in fact there was an X server on the VM:

root at dnixon:~ # X -listen-tcp
X: Command not found.
root at dnixon:~ # ls /usr/local/bin/X*
ls: No match.
root at dnixon:~ # ls /usr/local/bin/x*
/usr/local/bin/x265 /usr/local/bin/xicclu /usr/local/bin/xmlcatalog
/usr/local/bin/xslt-config
/usr/local/bin/xaegis /usr/local/bin/xjc /usr/local/bin/xmlcatmgr
/usr/local/bin/xsltproc
/usr/local/bin/xft-config /usr/local/bin/xkbcomp /usr/local/bin/xmllint
/usr/local/bin/xsubpp
/usr/local/bin/xgettext /usr/local/bin/xml2-config /usr/local/bin/xmlwf
/usr/local/bin/xxd
root at dnixon:~ # ls /usr/local/sbin/x*
ls: No match.
root at dnixon:~ # ls /usr/local/sbin/X*
ls: No match.
root at dnixon:~ # java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_252"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_252-b09)