Java future

Achilleas Mantzios achill at matrix.gatewaynet.com
Wed Dec 7 11:56:56 UTC 2011

Στις Wednesday 07 December 2011 13:27:51 ο/η Károly Arnhoffer έγραψε:
> Hi,
> We are in a little dubt with the future of Java on FreeBSD. Rumors arose here that Diablo JDK is not developed any more.

Bad news : diablo jdk is not supported anymore
Good news : openjdk works like a charm!
(some guys here even can run applets, i did some tests myself but some applets failed)

However, applets is not the issue here. Openjdk works very well, i have run Jboss on openjdk6-b23
quite some time with very good performance in comparison with a "big" linux box.

> My questions are:
> 1., Is Java kept supported on FreeBSD in the (not too far) future?
> 2., What is the recommended Java package/port to use on FreeBSD 8.x and 9.x computers?
> Thanks!
> Karoly

Achilleas Mantzios