jaybird can't connect dbs diablo jdk16

Matthias info at o-notation.org
Tue May 19 15:16:03 UTC 2009

Hello,

Matthias schrieb:
> Hello,
> here is a freebsd 7.1 machine with Diablo JavaSE 1.6.0_07_b02 and a
> firebird 2.0.3 db.
>  From this server I can't connect any firebird db neither the local one
> nor the lan dbs with jaybird2.1.6.
> I get the error message:GDS Exception. 335544721 Unable to complete
> network request to host $hostname. $hostname is the orginal given name.
> IP addresses or fqdns create the same error message.
> First thought: address resolving! I've checked firewall, name resolving
> - everything seems to be ok.
> The same binaries and ajybird drivers are running without problems on
> win and mac os, connecting to _every_ db.
> Unfortunately i have only a second freebsd 6.2 server with diablo jdk
> 1.5 ; but compiled for 1.5 it runs without problems too; the same on
> Solaris10.
> Only this machine has connection problems with jaybird. The local db is
> reachable from other applications; the local gbak can connect too.
>
> Maybe someone has a clue or expierence with this combo.
>
> Matthias

SOLVED:
the local hostname wasn't listed in /etc/hosts; you can add every host
in the lan, but when the localhost isn't listed with his name, the whole
name resolving isn't working properly - in this case.
I don't know if this is an iussue of diablo or the java vm, because for
a while a java XMPP client was running on this machine without problems.

Matthias