lang/sun-jdk15 on amd64

Havard Eidnes he at uninett.no
Tue Jan 13 16:45:00 PST 2009

[[ re-posted with the correct MIME body type for the attachment
   -- sorry! ]]

> >> No idea, sorry. I always use the native build, because if I
> >> run into problems, they can be fixed by the Java porting
> >> team. The linux package is not open to such fixes.
> >
> > How do you manage to build native jdk? It depends on linux
> > emulated jdk package (which core dumps for me).
>
> Hum. You ran into the bootstrap problem. Blech, I remember that one
> from way back when I hacked at the DEC Alpha port a little.
> Technically, building the JDK depends on any working JVM, not the
> linux one per se.
>
> There are two paths for you to take; find a working JVM for your box
> and edit the port dependency so that it uses that JVM, or do the
> bootstrap on another machine.

Actually, only a few java commands are needed to be run by
another java instance during the build.  The attached documents
how I went about getting a native jdk15 running for amd64.

It can be done, but it's a little quirky to set up.

Regards,

- Håvard