getting tomcat running

Pieter de Goeje pieter at degoeje.nl
Wed Feb 4 01:21:45 PST 2009

On Wednesday 04 February 2009 03:13:44 Chuck Robey wrote:
> I can't get my tomcat6 working.  I found an interesting item in the
> /usr/local/apache-tomcat6.0/logs/stdout.log, so I'm checking out that it
> says that it wants a libtcnative.  Here's the log entry:
>
> INFO: The APR based Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal
> performance in production environments was not found on the
> java.library.path:
> /usr/local/jdk1.6.0/jre/lib/i386/server:/usr/local/jdk1.6.0/jre/lib/i386:
> /usr/local/jdk1.6.0/jre/../lib/i386:/usr/lib:/usr/X11R7.4/lib:/usr/local/li
>b: /usr/java/packages/lib/i386:/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib
>
> So, I found a www/tomcat-native port which installs the libtcnative.so
> library, and I installed that, but the error above, from the stdout.log
> file, doesn't change, it still can't find the library.  What does tomcat6
> refer to, to find it's libraries?  The libtcnative it installs is going
> into /usr/local/lib, it's on that list, ldconfig -r finds it fine.
The "Apache Tomcat Native" library really isn't needed to run tomcat. The
library speeds up serving of static content. I bet your tomcat started fine,
and is listening on port 8180. Are you sure you restarted tomcat after you
intstalled tomcat-native?

For development I recommend downloading the latest tomcat, extracting it in
your homedir. Then simply:
cd apache-tomcat-6.x.y
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/jdk1.6.0
./bin/startup.sh

You can then also configure eclipse to automatically deploy your applications
to this tomcat.

--
Pieter de Goeje