separate out tzdata port/package

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Fri Nov 7 04:47:52 PST 2008

on 05/09/2008 16:28 Andriy Gapon said the following:
> I haven't looked at the actual code and have not given any deep thought
> to this, so the following might be silly.
> Is it possible to separate java tz data into its own port/package?
> Maybe even shared by all/some JDKs.
> I usually install java from ports and it seems like a waste to rebuild
> the whole jdk just to get an updated tz data.

Sorry, still no code.
But here's an idea how this suggested port/package would work.

It would install (at least) tzupdater.jar somewhere in ${LOCALBASE}/lib
or share.
In its install script it would iterate over registered Sun Java VMs
(javavms file) and execute $vm -jar tzupdater.jar -u (or something similar).
jdk* ports would grow a dependency on this new port and would execute
tzupdater.jar as part of their build/install pretty much as they do now.

The only issue that I see is that checksum for some files in jdk/jre
installations would not be updated when tz files are modified. But I
don't think that this is a show-stopper.

What do you think?
Thanks!

--
Andriy Gapon