Problems with java applets and firefox

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Sun Oct 21 18:50:57 PDT 2007

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 16:59:06 +0200
Marco <marco.borsatino at poste.it> wrote:

> Great idea.
> I report the error given by firefox-devel:
> ------
>
> GConf Error: Failed to launch configuration server: Failed to execute child
> process "/usr/local/libexec/gconfd-2" (Invalid argument)
>
> GConf Error: Failed to launch configuration server: Failed to execute child
> process "/usr/local/libexec/gconfd-2" (Invalid argument)
>
> Exec of "/usr/local/diablo-jdk1.5.0/jre/bin/java_vm" failed: Invalid argument
>
> Could not read ack from child process
> Plugin: Java VM process has died.
> plugin: java process exited with status 6
> Could not start JavaVM!
>
> VM did not start up properly
> Exec of "/usr/local/diablo-jdk1.5.0/jre/bin/java_vm" failed: Invalid argument
>
> Could not read ack from child process
> Plugin: Java VM process has died.
> plugin: java process exited with status 6
> Could not start JavaVM!
>
> VM did not start up properly
>
> --------------------
>
> Diablo works fine, as I can see. I'm studying Java with NetBeans, and it seems
> to work correctly.
> But ... now? Is it maybe a problem of the most recent firefox version? Should
> I return to 1.5 release?
>
> Thanks for your help. Beto.

hey Marco,
ok, that doesn't look at all good. I am not sure what the problem could be . do you have javavmwrapper installed?

it works just fine here with:
javavmwrapper-2.3   Wrapper script for various Java Virtual Machines
diablo-jdk-1.5.0.07.01_7 Java Development Kit 1.5.0_07.01
firefox-2.0.0.7,1   Web browser based on the browser portion of Mozilla
firefox-remote-20040803_1 Wrapper scripts for firefox web browser

$ uname -a
FreeBSD ayiin.octantis.com.au 6.2-STABLE FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #24: Sun Oct  7 18:36:36 EST 2007     root at ayiin.octantis.com.au:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/AYIIN  i386

You can test your brower + java at
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

(though for some reason mine is now broken... i get:
TestVM 3.50 sc
Copyright (c) 2007 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
603
603
java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: " "
	at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.java:48)
	at java.lang.Integer.<init>(Integer.java:620)
	at testvmDynamicJavaCom.init(testvmDynamicJavaCom.java:193)
	at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:378)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

or , for example, http://members.tripod.com/webdesign123now/java1.htm

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"The only good bureaucrat is one with a pistol at his head.
Put it in his hand and it's goodbye to the Bill of Rights."
   H.L. Mencken