jdk16 and -fno-tree-vrp

Björn König bkoenig at alpha-tierchen.de
Mon Nov 12 12:57:11 PST 2007

Nick Johnson wrote:

> I don't think it's merely a question of compiling successfully.  There are
> cases where one can successfully -compile- the JDK, but the resulting
> executable behaves strangely and fails simple tests.
>
> Merely testing compilation is insufficient.  It is necessary to test
> functionality also.

In this case compilation is already a kind of functionality testing,
because GCC compiles a Java compiler which compiles a lot of Java source
code, i.e. class libraries and so on. A vastly broken GCC compiler could
create a totally broken Java compiler and we would not be able to finish
the installation of the JDK. - Please don't get me wrong. I don't disagree
with you. It is true that we need even more test cases.

Björn