Jboss Web on FreeBSD

Charles Mason charlie.mas at gmail.com
Sat May 5 17:15:04 UTC 2007

Hi all,

Recently I have been trying to get Jboss Web (not to be confused with
Jboss's Application Server) to run under FreeBSD. For more info
http://labs.jboss.com/jbossweb/

Jboss make binaries available for Linux, Windows, Solaris, HP-UX but
not for FreeBSD. Most of the code is written in Java so no big cross
platform issues. However it uses some native modules which are
portable but need to be recompiled.

I have successfully compiled these, it all works fairly well all
though some of the build scripts don't work. Next I wanted a rc.d
script to run it at start up. After a lot of fiddling I have hacked a
modified version of the Jboss4 port together. This is able to download
the source from my web server (the only public access to the source is
via SVN) extract it, build the Java portion of the source and install
it. There are still some big problems with my hacked port, it doesn't
currently build the native source, and the install process needs some
tweaking.

I was thinking it might be useful to anyone else wanting to use Jboss
Web on FreeBSD if I actually cleaned up my port and got it to a point
where it could be submitted to the main ports tree. The only problem
is I have never made a port before and I would be grateful if someone
could give me a few pointers.

I am currently reading the porters hand book. In the mean time if
anyone else is interested in running Jboss Web on FreeBSD let me know
and I can try and explain how I got  it working.

Is anyone else intrested in using Jboss Web? In theory it should apeal
to anyone currently running Tomcat. Although it doesn't to get the
covourage.

Charlie