trouble getting and installing FreeBSD-Java (2)

Greg Lewis glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Mon Aug 13 10:54:56 PDT 2007

G'day Steve,

I replied to an earlier email privately.  Let me know if you didn't get
that reply.

On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 11:34:55AM -0400, Steve Strassmann wrote:
> At 09:30 AM 8/13/2007, you wrote:
> >> Since I am on a FreeBSD machine hosted (and managed) by pair.com,
> >I don't have
> >> sudo, and I am not an expert on FreeBSD.
> >
> >have you got access to root at all? is this is a "virtual server"
> >you have with Pair, or a shared hosting account?
>
> It is a 'virtual server', so it's not shared, but they still don't
> give me root or sudo privileges.
> They maintain the core in heavily standardized way so there's no
> chance to upgrade
> to a post-4.8 FreeBSD.

The Diablo packages you're attempting to install won't work.  They were
built for FreeBSD 5.x and simply won't work on FreeBSD 4.x (no operating
system can be "future compatible").

Your options are very limited on such an old version of FreeBSD.  If you
can manage to get a new enough version of Linux emulation working well
enough you may be able to run the Linux JDK.  Once you've done that you
may be able to manually compile a native JDK since that version of FreeBSD
is notionally supported by the latest patchset (although noone has tested
it on anything older than 4.11).

Not being able to use the ports system or upgrade the version of FreeBSD
being used really forces you into a difficult situation for Java support.

Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis at eyesbeyond.com