trouble getting and installing FreeBSD-Java (2)

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Mon Aug 13 06:30:58 PDT 2007

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 08:28:08 -0400
Steve Strassmann <steve at strassmann.com> wrote:

> Thank you very much for the prompty reply. I'm sorry about cc'ing Greg.

hi Steve,
np :)

Please do not top post (don't reply on top , but rather in line, so it's like a conversation). I've moved your reply under my previous mail (and removed as needed for this reply) so it's easier to read. thanks!

> At 5:20 PM +1000 8/13/07, Norberto Meijome wrote:
> >On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 14:06:18 -0400
> >Steve Strassmann <steve at strassmann.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, just to let you know further, I downloaded jdk-1_5_0_12-linux-i586.bin
> >> from Sun to see if I could unpack it and apply your patches.
> >
> >( I've removed Greg from the CC - Please do not CC people directly - it is rude . The obvious exception is if you already have a thread going with them in after sending to the mailing list. Or if you know them personally ;) ) - I can safely assume Greg doesnt want extra copies of emails ;)
> >
> >The ports are part of the system, if you installed them - you can read the handbook ( handily available @ freebsd.org) to know more about the ports.
> >
> >if you want to go down the path of installing from source, simply do (as root , or use sudo / su ):

> Since I am on a FreeBSD machine hosted (and managed) by pair.com, I don't have
> sudo, and I am not an expert on FreeBSD.

have you got access to root at all? is this is a "virtual server" you have with Pair, or a shared hosting account?

You may be able to install software from ports as a user (eg, non-root) by changing some critical environment settings, but I've never done it... maybe someone else can say whether it is doable at all or not ? ( someone could be Google too ;) )

sudo is part of the ports, sysutils/sudo ( which really means /usr/ports/sysutils/sudo )

> A binary like diablo sounds like
> just the thing, I'll give it a try. The diablo links you provided sound good,
> wouldn't it be a good idea to mention them on pages like
> http://www.freebsd.org/java/ or http://www.freebsd.org/java/install.html?

> >cd /usr/ports/java/jdk15
> >make install
> >
> >The port will tell you what files you need to download (if you have any missing).
> >
> >If you want to save yourself time and troubles, just use a binary distribution like diablo-jdk:
> >
> >cd /usr/ports/java/diablo-jdk15
> >make install
> >

> The only problem is that (http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml) seems to
> support only FreeBSD 5.5 and up. It looks like my system is running FreeBSD 4.8,
> do you think diablo-jdk-freebsd5.i386.1.5.0.07.01.tbz will be ok? Can you
> direct me to a URL for the older builds?

sorry, don't have any at hand :(

>   pair.com> uname -v
>   FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE #0: Fri Apr 15 13:34:52 EDT 2005     erik5 at koloda.pair.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/PAIRqsv

4.8 is rather old (latest 4.x series is actually 4.11 ) - i personally dont think there's anything wrong with running older releases, but you will have these kind of issues with software not supporting it - there have been lots of changes since the 4.x release,specially regarding the ports tree (which cannot be pinned down to support one version of freebsd, unlike /usr/src itself). Can you get an upgrade to a newer OS release?

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"Ninety percent of the time things turn out worse than you thought they would.
 The other ten percent of the time you had no right to expect that much."
  Augustine