FreeBSD java license..

Bramananda Reddy Gopalswamy reddy at force10networks.com
Sun Aug 5 16:38:58 PDT 2007

Hi,

An extract from the licensing terms is given below. Do these terms hold
good even now, after Sun revoked FreeBSD java license? Has this dispute
between Sun and FreeBSD foundation settled?

But, why such restrictions when Sun Java does not have any like this.
Why should I go for commercial license when I want to package FreeBSD
java in my security appliance? Do I have to?

I. Current Field of Use for Java SE

You may currently redistribute the combined FreeBSD and Java SE
technologies so long as it is bundled with or integrated in Java-enabled
general purpose desktop computers and servers, pursuant to your license
with FreeBSD Foundation and you have executed a Trademark License with
Sun (see Section III below). You may not distribute Java SE in any other
devices or fields of use, including, without limitation, embedded
applications, embedded devices, cell phones, wireless devices, TV
devices, telematics devices and home gateway devices.

II. Additional Fields of Use Commercial Use

If you are interested in using the combined FreeBSD and Java SE
technology in a field-of-use other than "Java-enabled general purpose
desktop computers and general purpose servers", you will need to sign an
additional commercial use license with Sun permitting redistribution in
the desired field of use.  There are fees associated with the commercial
use license.  In order to obtain the additional license for review and
execution, please send an email to Freebsd_Sun_Info at sun.com

Thanks,

Reddy