Why do you run/prefer Java on FreeBSD?

Eugeny N Dzhurinsky bofh at redwerk.com
Thu Aug 2 09:51:27 UTC 2007

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 11:03:02AM +0200, Ernst de Haan wrote:
> Java on FreeBSD-folks,
>
> I intend to write an article on why and when Java on FreeBSD is a good
> choice. I'd love to get insights from you guys (and girls?).
>
> So:
> - why do you run Java on FreeBSD (instead of Solaris or Linux)?

Because I used to use FreeBSD for over 5 years and I don't want to switch to
windows/linux/whatever-not-freebsd ;)

> - do you consider Java on FreeBSD fast?

Relatively, however UI (Swing) works slower than on Windows/Linux for some
reason.

> - do you consider it stable/reliable?

Yes

> - do you consider it secure?

Well, can't answer this question - never had deal with java security on
FreeBSD. In case if you're talking about various security/crypto packages for
java - yes, I consider java is secure (no known leaks for me).

> - which version of Java are you running?

java version "1.5.0_11-p5"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_11-p5-root_04_jul_2007_17_12)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_11-p5-root_04_jul_2007_13_39, mixed mode)

> - was the installation of Java easy or a pain? (or somewhere in between?)

Easy

> - how important is Java 1.6 for you?

Since we're doing java development, when customers will want to switch to
Java6 - it would be critical to have Java6 working on FreeBSD. So I'd love to
see Java6 in ports ASAP ;)

--
Eugene N Dzhurinsky