diablo-jdk and jmap etc tools

Dominic Bishop dom at bishnet.net
Mon Apr 30 02:33:20 UTC 2007

I'm currently trying to analyse memory usage etc in some java applications
running on FreeBSD and whilst googling came across mention of tools such as
jmap, jstack and so on in the JDK distribution.
I cannot however get any of these to work, I set my JAVA_HOME environment to
the jdk dir but still get the following error with all of them (or
equivalent error anyway):

%jmap
sun/jvm/hotspot/tools/Jmap

Have I forgotten to do something or is it just the case that these tools are
non-functional on FreeBSD. I did briefly browse the JDK jars on the machine
and couldn't actually find the class it is looking for, or the equivalent
ones for other tools like jstack, jsadebug etc which fail with similar
messages.

System is:
FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p3 i386
diablo-jdk-1.5.0.07.01_3