jdk 1.6

Greg Lewis glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Tue Apr 24 15:51:48 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 10:58:33AM +0200, Albert Shih wrote:
> This message is not here to make any pression on the developper, my only
> question is when you think the freebsd jdk 1.6 portage can be release.
>
> I'm asking this question because we're need make a decision on what OS we
> choose for running some special software running under java and next
> release need 1.6
>
> Of course I can understand it's impossible to have a precise date, but
> what's your opinion ? dec 2007 ? june 2008 ? dec 2008 ?
>
> Lots of thanks.

It depends on how mature you need the port to be.  I expect there may be
an initial patchset in a month or two, but it will probably be somewhat raw.

There is some progress already:

> ./bin/java -version
java version "1.6.0-internal"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-internal-glewis_23_apr_2007_20_12-b00)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0-internal-glewis_23_apr_2007_20_12-b00, mixed mode)

But the complete JDK doesn't compile yet.

Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis at eyesbeyond.com