javaws problems

Stephen Hepner shepner at asyla.org
Fri Apr 13 22:16:40 UTC 2007

hello, Im hoping that someone can give me some suggestions here....  I
have been trying to play a javaws based game
(http://www.wurmonline.com/client/wurmclient.jnlp) which is having some
problems.  Im running FreeBSD i386 6.2-STABLE, have the nVidia drivers
and OpenGL installed.  It of course works fine under Windows and is
supposed to work under linux too.

So...with the native FreeBSD java I can get the login screen but it dies
when I try to login.  I have been told that it needs something that is
in the linux-sun-jdk1.5.0 version of java that isnt in the FreeBSD
native version.  However when I try to run the linux-sun-jdk1.5.0
version of javaws I get a "JAVAWS_HOME not set" error.

To fix the problem Ive tried, among other things, to setting the
JAVAWS_HOME variable in my shell.  Ive also been tinkering with the
/usr/local/bin/javaws script that came from the javavmwrapper port.  It
seems to set all of the other env vars but that one and my attempts to
modify it havnt gone so well sofar

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get this working?
thanks!
stephen