Missing <stdint.h> prevents JDK 1.5.0p1 from building

Brian Clapper brian-freebsd-007 at clapper.org
Wed Jan 26 12:51:58 PST 2005

Thought this might be worth mentioning: I'm attempting to build the 1.5.0
port on 4.10-RELEASE. The build routinely fails during compilation. The
first file affected is
"[...]/work/jdk15/j2se/src/share/native/sun/awt/medialib/mlib_ImageAffline.c",
but other files also fail to compile.

The reason: Those source files indirectly attempt to include <stdint.h>,
but 4.10-RELEASE doesn't have that file.

To get around this problem, I either have to modify the patchset or install
a stub version of <stdint.h>. I elected to use a stub <stdint.h>, which
looks like this:

----------
#ifndef _STDINT_H
#define _STDINT_H       1

#include <sys/types.h>
#include <wchar.h>

#endif /* stdint.h */

With that file installed in /usr/include, the build completes fine.

I did not have this problem when using the experimental patchset that came
out just prior to patchset 1. Diff'ing the two patchsets, it looks as
though the dependence on <stdint.h> was introduced in patchset 1.

Brian Clapper, http://www.clapper.org/bmc/
Majority: That quality that distinguishes a crime from a law.