java/76658: font.properties actual font file cannot point to a symlink

Jiawei Ye leafy at moderntimes.com.tw
Tue Jan 25 18:30:26 PST 2005

The following reply was made to PR java/76658; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Jiawei Ye" <leafy at moderntimes.com.tw>
To: <freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org>, <leafy at leafy.idv.tw>
Subject: Re: java/76658: font.properties actual font file cannot point to a symlink
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:22:42 +0800

 I don't use ttfm.sh actually, they are for XTT and I use FreeType. I use
 ttmkfdir from the ports collection.
 2 worthy notes here:

 1. Applets had always worked, it's the standalone JVM that b0rks all the
 time. http://www.chinatimes.com.tw displayed correct Chinese characters
 while the SwingSet2 demo displayed blank boxen (JFileChooser demo)

 2. Distributied font.properties.zh_TW has the last line pointing to
 /usr/local/share/fonts/TrueType/bsmi00.ttf. If the path is a symlink, in my
 case linked to /home/local/share/fonts/TrueType/bsmi00.ttf, the JVM will not
 find the proper font file and resulted in blank boxen too. So the problem
 lies in the JVM code either when trying to find the properties file or when
 trying to locate the actual font file.

 Regards,

 Jiawei Ye