no longer need linux compat or linprocfs????

Ean Kingston ean at hedron.org
Mon Jan 24 11:16:52 PST 2005

> Hello,
>
> I am going through our in house procecures for installing FreeBSD and
> apps, as we are about to migrate to 5.3.
>
> I just went through our Java chapter, and when I went to build the
> native JDK 1.4, I forgot to mount linprocfs, which I thought I always
> needed to do before; but the native JDK seemed to build successfully
> anyway. Then I went one step further and tried it again by removing
> Linux compatibility from my FreeBSD box, and native JDK still built with
> any problems!

You probably upgraded from your older system that had a native JDK. To
build Java, you need Java. If you already have an older native JDK that
gets used. So, you wouldn't need the Linux compatibility layer.

There is no binary distribution of Java for FreeBSD. The Linux binary
needs to be installed to build the native one if you don't already have an
older JDK installed. The linux binary JDK requires linprocfs and Linux
compatibility.