[RFC] ia64/sparc64 jdk 1.5.0 ports?

Panagiotis Astithas past at ebs.gr
Wed Jan 19 08:43:40 PST 2005

Alexey Zelkin wrote:
> Gentelmen,
>
> I'd like to listen about people opinion -- DO WE NEED ia64 and/or sparc64
> PORT OF JDK15 ?  Please take it as little survey, and post your thoughts
> privately or to mailing list.

I'm not sure either should be high-priority items, but if I had to
choose one, I'd go for sparc64. I know of a few places that might
consider deploying FreeBSD on oldish sparc64 hardware for Java server
applications. This is a scenario that makes sense from a business
perspective: old SPARC systems tend to be replaced by commoditized
Intel/AMD hardware and the decommissioned boxes could retain some value
with zero cost, by installing FreeBSD and being used as backup systems
in high availability configurations, or in a server farm/grid.

Thanks for the excellent work!