FW: Sun revokes FreeBSD license for Java

Ari Suutari ari at suutari.iki.fi
Mon Jan 10 03:04:48 PST 2005

Hi,

> Without having gone thru any details,
> is really a company prohibited from using FreeBSD with jdk14
> for its internal applications?

    I think that also internal deployment requires passing of TCK and
    paying roalties to SUN. It is all in the license text.

> Is a web hoster prohibited from selling FreeBSD accounts
> with jdk14 installed?

    Same as internal use :( See attachments "C" and "D" in license.

    I'm not a lawyer, but I have spent several hours reading the license
text.
    I don't know if the text was similar in previous version, the one I have
    been studying is from jdk 1.4.2.

    I hope I got it wrong, but it looks a little like if you are going to
    do anything else than just playing around you need to get into agreement
    with sun yourself (this means passing TCK, also maybe some royalties) or
    use binary release (which is older version, 1.3) or use linux-jdk.

    I think that I'm going to take the last option for production use.
    (until there is a binary 1.4 jdk for FreeBSD)

        Ari S.