Eclipse as part of the ports/java tree?

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Wed Aug 31 15:36:52 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 31 August 2005 07:48,  the author Roger Marquis contributed to
the dialogue on-
 Re: Eclipse as part of the ports/java tree?:

>Vizion wrote:
>> I am now faced with the question is the ports tree as inflexible as some
>> people suggest or are some members of our meritocracy more inflexible than
>> the freebsd assets?
>
>What you see as inflexibility the rest of us see as structure.  Sure
>it would be nice to insert a goto on occasion but, from a long-term
>perspective, the existing structure is better.
>
>Mark Linimon wrote:
>> In your most recent email I think you are finally getting a lot closer to
>> what I consider 'real' problem.  IMHO the interesting problems you want to
>> solve are the 'search' and 'browse' problems.
>
>This is a good point, and a legitimate issue.  One solution might be
>to move or symlink portsearch from /usr/ports/Tools/scripts to
>/usr/local/bin.
>
>If consolidation is in order why not follow the p5- example/standard
>and use the devel directory but rename the ports themselves to use an
>appropriate prefix (ports/devel/eclipse{,_plugin}-$plugin)?

The main problem is that to harness eclipse's own plugin loaderwe need to have
plugins in their own directory. If we can achieve that then we use the
standard eclipse *.jar files wiothiout modification and speed up the process
of getting the plugins into the port tree. It is the sole directory issue
that is the problem.

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing bound for Europe via Panama Canal after
completing engineroom refit.