Native JDK random # seed (Corrected plain-text email hopefully)

Colby Thomson colbyt at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 16 02:40:36 PDT 2004

I'm running FreeBSD 4.10 with jdk 1.4.2p6.

trace error as the linux-sun-jdk when it suffers from
a lack of entropy while generating random numbers..
rather than simply locking with no output.

I had a number of apps that locked solid with no debug
output or stack trace.  I ran these apps using the
linux-sun-jdk and recieved an error relating to
seeding random numbers (I can recreate and paste the
stack trace if needed).  I then switched back to the
native jdk and seeded /dev/random with 'rndcontrol -s
10' . Now the native JDK gets past the lock-up.

P.S. My solution to this is to set rndcontrol in a
startup script -- let me know if there is a better
suggestion.

Thanks,

- C. Colby Thomson
J.D. Edwards Design Studio