sun jdk 1.4.2_02 and freebsd 5.2

Jonathan Chen jonc at chen.org.nz
Sat Jan 17 15:51:00 PST 2004

> Hi,
>
> I try to check if it is possible to migrate from linux ( RedHat AS 3) to
> freebsd.
>
> I am using very intensive java (jboss + tomcat).
>
> I installed freebsd 5.2 and try to make some tests with java.
>
> I prefer the sun release because sun is the java founder, but if it is a
> problem I can change this one.

If I were going to use it on a production server, FreeBSD 4-STABLE and
the native JDK1.4.2 would be my choice. It really comes down to stability
and support. At the moment, FreeBSD 5.X is still not considered production
stable yet; and use of the native JDK1.4 means that if you find a problem,
the freebsd-java people are more receptive and actually have a possibility
of finding and fixing the problem.

If you use a non-native binary, and you find a problem I doubt very much
that the Sun or Linux people would be very interested in fixing your
problem as you are not running it on a supported platform.

My $0.02.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>