daemonctl/tomcat*ctl replacement

Brent Verner brent at rcfile.org
Sat Dec 18 15:56:49 PST 2004

Hi,

  About a year ago, I got frustrated with the way tomcat*ctl
worked, and went off to fix it.   Anyway, at the end of all
this I ended up with a daemonctl program that uses xml
configuration files to define its behaviour.

  Specifically, I wanted my freebsd systems to behave like
every other tomcat platform, and use the catalina.sh script
(because I fairly often have extensive configuration in the
catalina.sh/setenv.sh system).

  As the system stands, I have been using it for around
a year with great success.  So, I figured I'd make a pass
at cleaning things (a bit) and making the stuff presentable.
The program is still very much at a pre-alpha stage, but it
does work (and even pretty reliably).

  I'd like to ask any of you who feel the tomcat*ctl pain
to give this a try, and let me know what you think.  Most
of all, I'd like feedback on what it would take to get this
cleaned up enough to have it added as a port, and how it
(as a standalone port) might be used to replace the current
daemonctl program.  I've named my program daemonctl, but am
certainly open to renaming it.

  I have created a rough port (sysutils/daemonctl) that you
can download and drop into your ports tree to give this
thing a try.

  Please read the following for a more detailed description
of the program
  http://mutt.rcfile.org/daemonctl/readme.txt
then if you're interested, download the port tarball.
  http://mutt.rcfile.org/daemonctl/daemonctl-port-0.1.tar.gz

  Of course, feedback in diff -u format will be gladly
accepted :-)

cheers.
  Brent