Still cannot build native JDK1.4 with FreeBSD 5.3.

Greg Lewis glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Fri Dec 17 08:05:26 PST 2004

Hi Nick,

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 11:19:12PM -0800, Nick Sayer wrote:
> A month ago, I reported problems building the native JDK14 port. I
> haven't gotten any responses. I can't believe I'm the only one in the
> world who is seeing this failure.

Just lucky? ;)

> I'm running with RELENG_5_3. I have a working Linux 1.4 JDK installed.
>
> To recap, the build fails spitting out about a hundred errors about
> various interfaces not being public and what not. At the bottom, it
> looks like this:
>
> ../../../src/share/classes/java/net/SocksSocketImpl.java:335: cannot
> resolve symbol
> symbol  : method getHostName ()
> location: class java.net.InetSocketAddress
>             out.write(epoint.getHostName().length());
>                             ^
> Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
> Note: Recompile with -deprecation for details.
> 100 errors

Which is just the maximum number of errors it reports before dying.

Can you please post the top of the error too please?  I.e. the actual
javac command that is being executed.

Some other questions (assuming your Linux JDK is the Sun JDK):

1. Is the Sun JDK up to date?  I've never seen this error, but it
   doesn't hurt to make sure everything is up to date.

2. Have you tried the Blackdown or IBM JDKs to do the bootstrapping?
   Do they report the same error?  You'll have to tweak the
   LINUX_BOOTSTRAP_JDKS variable in the Makefile to try this.

Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis at eyesbeyond.com